“Why I love Barcelona” art competition
UPDATE: Please see our chosen 20 ‘Why I love Barcelona’ finalists in Part 1 and Part 2 of our artist showcase.
The competition is now closed! Thanks for your submissions.
Generator is offering up-and-coming artists the chance to have their masterpiece on permanent display in Barcelona’s newest boutique hostel.
Pedro Cuevas, B-Toy, Pez… Could your name be next?!
Simply put forward three pieces of artwork that showcase your creative style via the form below by 8 February 2013 to be in with a chance of winning.
Our illustrious panel of judges will select 20 finalists in the following week and ask them to produce an example piece of art around the theme ‘Why I love Barcelona’ for submission by 11 March 2013. All 20 proposals will be showcased in the hostel during an event with the judges.
Two winners will then be chosen to each produce one unique masterpiece which will become a permanent fixture in Generator Barcelona’s two large public areas, with a potential audience of over 180,000 international visitors per year. All shortlisted artists will also have the opportunity for their artwork to be showcased to top designers, art curators, fellow artists and the local media in an exhibition promoting the property’s launch.
How’s that for exposure?!
THE GENERATOR STYLE:
We’re looking for all types of urban art, from drawings and paintings to illustrations and graffiti work, so you can be as free and expressive as you like. And when we say we have a large space for the winning artwork to fill we’re not kidding: ultimately the finished pieces will measure 5.3m by 1.75m and 8.75m by 1.5m! That’s definitely great exposure!
As if that weren’t enough, the two worthy finalists will also win a city break for two in any of Generator’s European design-led properties, surely the perfect way to get inspired for future projects.
All 20 shortlisted artists will be invited to the exhibition opening at Generator Barcelona where their art will be on show; a great portfolio opportunity for all.
The two winners will:
- Each receive a £400 flight voucher and six nights’ accommodation in a twin room at any Generator location across Europe.
- Gain fantastic exposure opportunities, with their name published in press materials and promotions relating to the exhibition.
- Be interviewed and have their work progress documented as part of the project’s video and photo documentation.
- Receive copies of the final video process and photography of their artwork creation.
The panel will be made up of:
Anwar Mekhayech, Principle Designer & co-founder of The Design Agency
- Anwar’s portfolio includes Soho House and Shangri-La Residences in Toronto
- Host of the HGTV show ‘The Designer Guys’
- Key influencer, continually involved as a guest speaker, hosting events, product placements and sponsorships
Rebecca Mason, Interior Architect & Designer, professor at IED Barcelona
Tina Zeigler, Contemporary Art Curator
Carl Michel, Generator’s Executive Chairman
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY:
Sample artwork must be submitted by 8 February 2013.
The shortlisted 20 will be then asked to create an example of their final piece of work for submission by 11 March 2013.These will be displayed in 2 public areas of the hostel.
Guidelines (our Terms & Conditions)
- All artists worldwide, 18 and over are eligible to participate in the Why I love Barcelona competition.
- Art samples should be sent using the Generator website.
- All sample artwork uploaded by entrants will not be the final artwork installed at Generator Barcelona.
- Artwork samples should be in the following format: .tif, .tiff, .eps, .jpg, .jpeg, .jfif, .gif, .png. Please compress all files into a zip folder. Maximum of 20 megabytes.
- Submitted samples from the 20 finalists may be published on Generator’s social media channels and generatorhostels.com to further promote the exhibition
- Before entrants enter the competition, copyright of artwork should be owned by the entrant (not owned by third parties).
- The chosen artwork will be printed on vinyl and installed by Generator.
- Two public area sizes: 5300x1750mm and 8750x1500mm
- Closing date for submission of artwork is 8th February 2013.
- 20 finalists are to produce a piece of artwork relating to the theme; ‘Why I love Barcelona’ by 11th March 2013.
‘Share To Win’ – Facebook Terms and Conditions
- To enter, you have to share the Barcelona art competition from the Generator Facebook wall, and get the chance to win one free night stay for you and your friend in one of our properties (incl. breakfast)
- 5 winners will be drawn at random and announced on the 8th February
- Redeemable at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Not in Conjunction with any other offer
- One entry per person only
- Price is valid until 01st March 2014
- Rooms are subject to availability
- Flights not included
- Entrant has to be 18 and over and may be asked to prove their age
- To take part in competition, you have to like the Generator Facebook page
- Generator hostels LTD reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time
- By entering the competition the participant accepts the terms and conditions